Re: fractional gigabit ethernet links?

  • From: Peter John Hill
  • Date: Tue Jul 16 12:01:45 2002

It is very messy, but until we get a Supervisor/MSFC/PFC that can police on egress vlan...

We have two bgp sessions with our provider, one that distributes I2 routes, and the other, default. Each points to the other end of their respective /30 subnets on their own vlan on an 802.1q trunk (set up manually, not using VTP.

This box is connected to two separate layer 2 cores via two /29s (via 802.1q trunks). Once /29 is the "Commodity" (ie. we must pay) vlan, and has the default-information-originate. Then, the other /29 has its own ospf process (like i said, messy). We redistribute the bgp I2 routes into that ospf process, using as-path filters. Now at the two cores, when traffic for the commodity traffic comes in, it goes to the border router via one vlan, research/I2 traffic the other. We are then able to filter on the ingress vlan on the border router.

Now, for you, if don't have a situation where some of your external traffic needs rate-limited, while some can flow as fast and free as it wants, then you just need to do in-bound rate limiting, coming from your internal network to your border router.

What sucks for us, is that since we are not experiencing any congestion on our internal network, we can't take advantage of wfq or wred.

That was as simple as i could put it, if you have other questions, please ask.