Cisco 4000 series switches

  • From: Joes Jobs
  • Date: Tue Jul 16 06:53:03 2002

Please excuse the duplicate post (If there is one)

Hello all,

After being tasked to diagnose why a node is reporting
a Half duplex connection I ran across an unusual observation.
I've pretty much always assumed that what a switch
reported as a status regarding the link of a node was the
actual status of the line to be the case. However, when I
checked the actual line state using a Fluke Net tool box
I was surprised to discover a discrepancy. The scenario is
this, the unit in question is a Cisco 4006 Catalyst. The port
being connected to is set to Auto negotiate. Once the unit
in question connects over a fairly poor RJ-45 connection
using auto negotiate  (no not beyond 100 meters, actually
280 feet) the switch reports:
Port  Name               Status     Vlan       Level  Duplex Speed Type
----- ------------------ ---------- ---------- ------ ------ ----- ------------
 3/2                     connect 106        normal   a-full  a-100  10/100BaseTX

However the line analyzer says duplex is half, but advertised full.
When I set the node in question to Half Duplex, the switch reports half duplex as well.

Port  Name               Status     Vlan       Level  Duplex Speed Type
----- ------------------ ---------- ---------- ------ ------ ----- ------------
 3/2                     connect 106        normal   a-half  a-100  10/100BaseTX

Is this a common situation or just a mis-understanding of the column that makes up
Duplex for the Cisco IOS? Or is it that The Cisco Switch truly is trying to do
full duplex but the end node is only doing half. If so would/should I see line errors
at some point under heavy load/traffic? And if not why would the line analyzer see the
connection as half when the switch is reporting full?
And btw, Firmware is at 5.5(11)

Any thoughts appreciated.

TIA
-Joe