RE: fractional gigabit ethernet links?

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Tue Jul 16 06:49:49 2002

I may be missing something but..

presumably their rate-limiting involves some form of queuing/buffering..

in which case assuming the ping is the only thing occuring, when the rate hits
the limit it will queue, delay and slow down the echo/reply

and no packets should be lost?

on the other hand, if as is i think suggested below theres no buffer ie when it
hits the limit it starts dropping then i dont think thats a good way of rate
limiting as it only works for tcp and the network really needs to provide a way
to slow the ip layer down. i cant see how that will provide a usable service...

Steve

--
Stephen J. Wilcox
IP Services Manager, Opal Telecom