RE: fractional gigabit ethernet links?

  • From: Alex Rubenstein
  • Date: Tue Jul 16 00:05:49 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Phil Rosenthal wrote:

> This may sound a bit ridiculous, but say the timer is every 0.25ms.
> 100kbit per 0.25ms = 400,000kbit or 400 mbit.
> It is remotely possible to hit a 300 mbit limit with only 100kbits of
> traffic, if the timer is sufficiently short, and your traffic is
> sufficiently bursty.

A cisco ping is not bursty, to the extent of hundreds of mb/s. Also, cisco
ping doesn't offer 4,000 pings/sec.

> Unless your traffic is Mcast, I doubt that issue is related.

Read on; EIGRP, CDP, etc.

> Can you ask your provider how exactly they are limiting the pipe?  When
> dealing with 300 or so megs, I doubt they will be shaping with a policy
> friendly to you, as the logistics of doing so are a bit difficult.

By strapping 1 or more STS-1's to the GE iface.

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, [email protected], latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --