Re: verio arrogance

  • From: Ralph Doncaster
  • Date: Mon Jul 15 18:37:55 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 05:10:28PM -0400, Ralph Doncaster wrote:
> > Announcing a covering /20 along with the regional more specifics I have
> > will only serve to increase the size of the routing table for most
> > backbones, and lead to sub optimal routing in some cases since I'm
> > announcing the more specifics due to geographical diversity.
>
> Announce the /20 to your transit providers, and the more specifics with
> no-export. Verio's position is that they don't want to or need to hear
> your /23s unless you are a customer, and for the most part they are right.

But I've broken my /20 into a /21 for Ottawa, a /22 for Toronto, a /23 for
Montreal, and a /23 for expansion.  I'm currently only getting transit in
Toronto, but will have a second transit provider restored in Ottawa (I was
using GT for a short while).  While announcing the the /20 will my network
is reachable for single-homed Verio customers, it won't provide the true
best path that simply accepting the regional more specifics.

-Ralph