Re: QoS/CoS in the real world?

  • From: Peter John Hill
  • Date: Mon Jul 15 09:38:18 2002

--On Sunday, July 14, 2002 9:26 PM -0400 Art Houle <[email protected]> wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 21:13:13 -0400 (EDT)
 Art Houle <[email protected]> wrote:
Or, to put it another way, how are the packets marked ? And why not just
drop them then and there, instead of later ?

If we are not using our WAN connections to capacity, then p2p traffic can
expand and fill the pipe, but if business packets are filling the pipes,
then the p2p stuff is throttled back. This makes 100% use of an expensive
resource.
So, you are doing straight tcp port filtering. Are there any clients that use dynamic ports? Things will get trickier for you. Other than Packetteer, are there any other products that can look into the data of a packet at any usable rate to do filtering/marking?