Re: No one behind the wheel at WorldCom

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Sat Jul 13 18:34:15 2002

On Saturday, July 13, 2002, at 06:17 , Stephen Stuart wrote:

Legend speaks of a well known BGP community referred to as 'no export',
which causes people with no direct connections to $carrier to not
have to listen to all that extra junk while still engineering inbound
traffic w/ more specifics for people who peer directly in diverse
locations.   Amazing!
Indeed, I know from personal experience the heartbreak of supplying
no-export to a BGP peer who does not honor it, and propagates the
more-specific prefixes that I give them globally.
The earlier comment made reference to 1221's prestigious and long-held position at the top of the CIDR report.

Rumour has it that the deaggregated set of long-prefix routes advertised by 1221 to its peers and transit providers is there because of the requirement of 1221 to balance inbound traffic from ASes with which 1221 does not directly peer (as in BGP), over an array of random legacy transmission capacity under and around the Pacific. It is not obvious how no-export helps with this general problem (although see draft-ietf-ptomaine-nopeer-00).

[I am not now, nor have I ever been involved in designing or applying routing policy for AS1221, but I have been known to drink the occasional beer with people who have.]

Joe