Re: Paying for delivery of packets (was about Sprint Peering, and Importance of Content)

  • From: Tim Thorne
  • Date: Sat Jul 13 09:36:24 2002

JC Dill <[email protected]> wrote:

>My premise is that in the end, content providers want to send lots of
>packets more than end users want to pay to receive them.  Joe is not
>willing to pay an equally high rate to get the packets that content
>providers are willing to pay to send them.  Thus, settlements.

In the end, I think the cost must be borne by the end user in some
way, shape or form. The first Internet boom is over. People providing
content realise it isn't cheap and in the current financial climate
are no longer willing to throw money away. Bandwidth is getting
cheaper but employees are not. I think your ISP subscription will take
care of it in the future. They will buy in content or access for their
users. Perhaps AOLs model of value added services was a little
premature?

--
Tim