Re: All-optical networking Was: [Re: Notes on the Internet for Bell Heads]

  • From: Scott Granados
  • Date: Fri Jul 12 15:39:41 2002

Actually, research has been done that uses rare gasses to slow and even
stop the photons down in a tube.  It would be possible to store the
states of photons in these tubs and then release them when you wanted
with out requiring miles of fiber.  Also, photons work inpairs.  It may
be possible to split the pairs on the fiber and observe the actions in
the fiber remotely  by capturing one side of the pair and allowing the
others to continue.  They interact in  pairs even though physical
distance is between them.