Re: Buffett bailout of WorldCom raises questions of influence

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Fri Jul 12 11:56:25 2002

I'm wondering if Level(3) is going to make a play. Buffet et. al. just put 500MM
in cash into convertible bonds for "acquisitions" and I believe Level 3 has
a substanital amount of cash on the sidelines anyhow. I know from working
at Level 3 that it would be a sweet victory for many if Level 3 acquired Worldcomm
out of bankruptcy.

Ebbers is gone. All the old exec staff is gone. Sidgemore and Cerf get along
with Jim Crowe as far as I know <i dont really>, but I do know the Ebbers and
Crowe were not pals since it was a reason that Crowe and the
troops left Worldcom.

Jim Crowe and Buffet are friends, and the original investors in L3 include,
IIRC, Bill Gates as well as a few other super billionaires.

It could be interesting.