Re: Question regarding web hosting ip addressing

  • From: Scott Francis
  • Date: Fri Jul 12 10:21:38 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 08:25:25AM -0400, [email protected] said:
> Odd.  I've run multiple "https:" sites on one IP.  The browser
> will complain about the certificate but you can always have

And therein lies the problem. :) The last web host work I did had a few
bottom-lines rules, and one of them was do not confuse the end-users, because
that tends to either create support calls (whee) or send them to competitors.

> a different certificate for each site while using one IP address.
> (Correct me if I'm wrong!)

According to http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/name-based.html (thanks
Gerald), name-based hosting cannot be used with SSL due to the nature of the
SSL protocol.

--
-= Scott Francis || darkuncle (at) darkuncle (dot) net =-
  GPG key CB33CCA7 has been revoked; I am now 5537F527