Re: Notes on the Internet for Bell Heads

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Thu Jul 11 21:53:04 2002

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 08:24:38PM -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:
> Yes, several people mentioned that the two groups should just maintain
> their seperate ways.  There is this thing called convergence.

I know a small number of operators with really talented and dedicated
architecture people who have made converged networks work, and have
in consequence both reduced their costs and increased the number of
products they are able to offer.

I know way more operators with really talented and dedicated architecture
people who are preaching the gospel of convergence, and investing in
new equipment to support it, and are having their efforts sabotaged at
every turn by voice and data people who have closed ranks and are
defending their respective empires.

These operators wind up having to operate three networks (data, voice
and data+voice), with correspondingly increased operational costs.
The interop issues (both operational and architectural) between the
three networks increase complexity, reducing the chance that any
convergence products ever come to market, neatly and efficiently
defeating the entire point of the initial exercise.

> How do you explain Internet security to a telco engineer.

You change the subject and make him feel good about his voice switches
until he wanders away and loses interest in bothering you.

Joe