RE: Notes on the Internet for Bell Heads

  • From: Ron Oliver
  • Date: Thu Jul 11 17:27:38 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Daniel Golding wrote:

> Actually, the reverse would be useful, as well. Voice Networking/SS7 stuff
> for us IP weenies. (i.e. not voice over IP, just straight voice)

"Integrating Voice and Data Networks," Cisco Press, ISBN 1-57870-196-1

Part I, "Traditional Voice Networks" was a marvelous clue-by-four
for me as far as voice networks goes.  I've read more books on the
topic than I can remember--which tells you how lousy the books
were.  This one got me clued in fast.

I wouldn't claim to be a voice god now, but at least it was accurate
and in-depth enough to allow me to talk semi-intelligently with
those who live in that world ("E&M?  Well, I'm not into that...but I
guess I can spank your ass if it'll get the circuit up any
quicker.")

Note to ciscopress.com: put the Table of Contents for your books
online!

Ch. 1 The State of Voice Communications
Ch. 2 Enterprise Telephony Signaling
  Signaling Functions, Analog Voice Trunks, Digital Trunk Types, R2
  Signaling
Ch. 3 SS7
Ch. 4 Call Routing and Dial Plans
Ch. 5 Defining and Measuring Voice Quality
Ch. 6 Voice Digitization and Coding
--
Ron Oliver <[email protected]>