Re: GBLX router upgrade breaks bgp sessions

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Wed Jul 10 13:00:30 2002

Can you provide any details as to why you had to "remove multicast" -
do you mean, remove MBGP ? Or is there more?

nanog wrote:

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 09:17:56AM -0500, John Kristoff wrote:

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 07:04:38AM -0700, nanog wrote:

Subject says it all. GBLX upgraded some edge routers to a new JunOS
release (possibly 5.3 rev 24)- and now our bgp sessions continually
reset with:

Jul 10 06:58:24 MST: %BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: sent to neighbor X.X.X.X 3/3 (update missing required attributes) 0 bytes

I don't know about gblx, but I saw a problem like this at our border.
After JunOS was upgraded to 5.3r2.4 (other side IOS) the session was
continually being reset. The bgp session between theser two peers was setup with family inet any (for multicast peering) and when that
was removed, the problem went away. I also heard about a problem that
may be related I2 was having with their Juniper code, it sounded
related, but I haven't investigated the details yet.

John

That was it- A quick TAC case later (about 10 minutes turnaround from
problem submission to resolution- upgrade IOS or remove multicast from
bgp peer) and the problem is fixed. I removed multicast since it was
not required on this peer, and will schedule the IOS upgrade during
a more friendly maintenance window.

GBLX, however, has not returned my call since I opened a high priority,
customer down ticket about 1.5 hours ago. Like all other support calls
to their NOC, this seems to have disappeared into nevernever land. I love the GBLX network when it works, but god help you if you ever need to talk to a clueful NOC person to fix a problem (especially after hours.)
bill

--
                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624       Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : [email protected]
http://www.multicasttech.com

Test your network for multicast :
http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/