Re: GBLX router upgrade breaks bgp sessions

  • From: nanog
  • Date: Wed Jul 10 10:59:11 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 09:17:56AM -0500, John Kristoff wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 07:04:38AM -0700, nanog wrote:
> > Subject says it all.  GBLX upgraded some edge routers to a new JunOS
> > release (possibly 5.3 rev 24)- and now our bgp sessions continually
> > reset with:
> >
> > Jul 10 06:58:24 MST: %BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: sent to neighbor X.X.X.X 3/3 (update missing required attributes) 0 bytes
> >

> I don't know about gblx, but I saw a problem like this at our border.
> After JunOS was upgraded to 5.3r2.4 (other side IOS) the session was
> continually being reset.  The bgp session between theser two peers
> was setup with family inet any (for multicast peering) and when that
> was removed, the problem went away.  I also heard about a problem that
> may be related I2 was having with their Juniper code, it sounded
> related, but I haven't investigated the details yet.
>
> John

That was it- A quick TAC case later (about 10 minutes turnaround from
problem submission to resolution- upgrade IOS or remove multicast from
bgp peer) and the problem is fixed.  I removed multicast since it was
not required on this peer, and will schedule the IOS upgrade during
a more friendly maintenance window.

GBLX, however, has not returned my call since I opened a high priority,
customer down ticket about 1.5 hours ago.  Like all other support calls
to their NOC, this seems to have disappeared into nevernever land.
I love the GBLX network when it works, but god help you if you ever
need to talk to a clueful NOC person to fix a problem (especially after
hours.)

bill