[OT] Re: Readiness for IPV6

  • From: Matthew S. Hallacy
  • Date: Tue Jul 09 20:27:44 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 02:01:35AM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> <flame>
> Ah.. so everywhere you see 'text' and have to input 'text' is DOS?
> Cool bash == DOS, shells are DOS.
>
> A thing like this:
> 8<---------
> Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\>
> --------->8
> is called a "Command Prompt" and has nothing to do with DOS.
> Why doesn't anybody complain when it's on *ix boxes ?
> It's shell everywhere then :)

Pardon me:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

C:\>command /?
Starts a new instance of the MS-DOS command interpreter.

COMMAND [[drive:]path] [device] [/E:nnnnn] [/P] [/C string] [/MSG]

[snip rest of output]

Looks like it still claims to be the MS-DOS command interpreter to me,
using the 'user friendly' name of 'Command Prompt' doesn't change
what it is.

[snip]

> They didn't 'exploit' me yet in the last 3 years I am using the
> development versions of the stack :)
> And everything has bugs

As soon as it's in use enough for an exploit to be useful, it will be.

> </Flame>

[snip links]

Don't forget
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/techinfo/administration/ipv6/default.asp

Which instructs you to go to a command prompt, like I said =)

> And as for your "it's difficult':
> http://www.ipng.nl/index.php3?page=setup.html&forcepage=windows.html
> Or the single line: "ipv6 adu 3/fec0::1"
>
> Interface 3 (site 1): Local Area Connection
>   uses Neighbor Discovery
>   link-level address: 00-d0-b7-8f-5d-42
>     preferred address fec0::1, infinite/infinite
>     preferred address 3ffe:8114:2000:240:2d0:b7ff:fe8f:5d42,
> 2591593s/604393s (addrconf)
>
> Tada ;)

Yes, this is too difficult for 'joe blow user', as I said.

> I think the problem is reading the docs is difficult.
> IPv6 will be/is autoconfig all the way fortunatly so those
> 'native config' tools isn't going to be used by a lot of people.

Users do not read documentation.

> Maybe also a nice tool for people saying "but IPv4 has a GUI on windows"
> you might like to type 'netsh' ones in your "DOS" prompt ;)

If a user can't point, click, and go, they're unlikely to do something,
I've dealt with people that went over a month without their internet access
simply because they were afraid they would have to troubleshoot their internet
connection over the phone.

> btw.. DOS == command.com, NT = cmd.exe, there *is* a difference.

Yes, one is named command.com, one is named cmd.exe, it was easier
than typing start <cmd> from the DOS command prompt.