Re: multicast (was Re: Readiness for IPV6)

  • From: David Charlap
  • Date: Tue Jul 09 13:53:53 2002

Chris Parker wrote:
It may be a bit higher, but the number who access multicast content
is decidedly tiny.  More content would probably push it higher, as
much fun as it is watching the ISS live on Nasa TV, it does get a
bit dry.  :)
I think this is a case of "if you build it, they will come".

RealPlayer's default configuration is to first attempt to use multicast, then fail-over to UDP, then fail-over to TCP. In other words, if multicast is available, the program will use it.

I don't know about other streaming clients, but I would guess that others would behave similarly.

-- David