Re: multicast (was Re: Readiness for IPV6)

  • From: David Meyer
  • Date: Tue Jul 09 13:20:23 2002

Here's my $0.02 on the whole multicast thing. We've been at this
for a number of years now, and robust, ubiquitous multicast
on the internet is really nowhere in sight. Kind of sounds like
QoS, and maybe there's a lesson there (20 years of research and
IETF activity, yielding, well, what?).

Given the amount of time and resource we've spent on multicast,
the question one might ask is "why hasn't multicast succeeded"?
My guess is that it is because the demand from any of the
potential users of the service just isn't there (not at internet
scales, at least not now). Add to this that there are other,
possibly simpler mechanisms to accomplish much of the
functionality that multicast envisions (e.g. application layer
multicast; this even hits dial-up eyes with no modification),
problems with billing models, and difficultly in deploying the
existing set of protocols (too much complexity, broken
architecturally on shared access exchanges, etc), and you might
expect just about what we've experienced.

Dave