Re: multicast (was Re: Readiness for IPV6)

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Tue Jul 09 12:02:52 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 11:16:56AM -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> > http://www.broadcast.com/mcisp/
> >
> > I see quite a few cable and dialup providers on there ( and I work for
> > one of 'em... )
>
> It's a cute list.  Where's AT&T (with all the old @Home customers)?
> Where AOL?  Don't see UUNet either.
>
> Almost as important, people like Sprint are on the list.  Last I
> checked (admittedly, over a year ago) there was no multicast for
> Sprint DSL customers, and Sprint high speed customers had to
> specifically request it, it was not turned on by default.  Result,
> less than 1% of Sprint's customers actually had it turned on, I
> believe.
>
> I'd be suprised if 1% of _residential end users_ were on multicast
> enabled networks today.  Very surprised.

	Speaking as the person who got Voyager.Net on the list,
here's what the deal was at the time (~2+ years ago)

	You configure a tunnel between you and the broadcast.com
folks and speak mbgp+msdp over it to get their (S, G) state info and
traffic.

	They gave information on how to enable the dialup ports,
etc.. for multicast.

	We did have a few customers complain "what's this 224 crap traffic
you are sending us".

	The broadcast.com people didn't seem to want to help
bridge the native gap between upstreams and the edge customers.

	Providers I know have multicast enabled and available for
customers in some way/shape/form:

	CW, GBLX, Sprint, Qwest, UUNet/UUCast, Verio

	It's my understanding that Sprint has enabled pim on all
customer-facing interfaces and is configured for nlri unicast multicast
on all their bgp sessions so once a customer toggles their end to
unicast+multicast they can get mbgp prefixes.  I do suggest getting
your routes in the table, which will not cause instability then later
look at/concentrate on the rest, pim, msdp, etc..

	- Jared