Re: Readiness for IPV6

  • From: Eric Gauthier
  • Date: Tue Jul 09 09:15:15 2002

> "Phil Rosenthal" wrote:
>  > As far as I can tell, neither Foundry Bigiron, nor Cisco 65xx support
> IPV6
>
> As far as I can tell, despite many feature requests to the contrary,
> Foundry barely supports IPV4. Your local Foundry sales ofice can offer
> you a more percise time-line on Foundry's planned support for Internet
> Protocol versions 4 and 6.

The Cisco GSR (12,0xx) just got native support for IPv6 (12.0.21ST1)
and its being rolled out across Abilene (Internet2).  I'm at one of
the schools that will be bringing online a native session within
a few weeks, so we'll see if the code works or not :)

We currently run 6509's in native mode with MSFC2's on our campus.  From
what I'm being told, Cisco will have native IPv6 support in Cat6k Native
IOS sometime in Q3 of this year with a forwarding rate in the 10k pps
range, jumping to 100k pps sometime within the first two quarters of
next year.

Eric :)