Re: AS number inconsistencies

  • From: Jenn Kobi Hsu
  • Date: Tue Jul 09 01:51:42 2002

Hank Nussbacher is rumoured to have written:

 * >And there are only two ASes which appear, and are not registered anywhere
 * >- one is intermittent, the other, AS5757, has been there since I started
 * >this over 3 years ago.
 *
 * So what does UUnet have to say?
 * Who gave the permission for them to accept AS5757 from their single-homed
 * customer?

<sigh>

I registered AS5757 sometime in 1995. In fact, I sent in the registration
request for AS5758 for UMD within 10 minutes of AS5757.

For whatever reason, the record for 5757 disappeared. You'll note that 5758
is still there, no problems. I occasionally would call up the NIC and ask
them where the record went, and at the time they would tell me they could
see it fine in their system, and they couldn't tell me why it wasn't
appearing in the public dump.

Unfortunately, I didn't push the issue. Their response eventually changed
to "we don't know what you are talking about".

Someone who would know told me that all older AS's were also recorded by
hand in some sort of physical medium. I can't get ahold of anyone at
ARIN who knows what I'm talking about, for that, either.

The orginal email confirming the allocation is sitting on an 8mm tape,
right in front of me. I don't have the means to retrieve the data.
[Anyone have a mid-90's sun 8mm tape deck I can borrow?]

5757 wasn't intended to be singly-homed. Times have changed, and I'm
between, um, providers. If it will make things easier for everyone,
I'll be happy to have UUnet turn 207.19.224.67 into a static route.

But that doesn't fix my disappearing record problem. I'd welcome
any useful suggestions.

_jenn