QoS/CoS in the real world?

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Mon Jul 08 18:26:50 2002

Hi all,
 I've been looking through the various qos/cos options available, my particular
area was in how IP (MPLS perhaps) compares and can be a substitute for ATM.

Well, theres lots of talk and hype out there, from simple IP queuing eg cisco
priority queuing, rsvp, diffserv, mpls traffic engineering etc

But two things are bugging me..

1. To what extent have providers implemented QoS for their customers

2. Hype aside, to what extent do customers actually want this (and by this I
dont just mean that they want the latest QoS because its the 'latest thing',
there has to be a genuine reason for them to want it). And this takes me back to
my ATM reference where there is a clear major market still out there of ATM
users and what would it take to migrate them to an IP solution?

Also, how are people implementing bandwidth on demand (dynamic allocation
controlled by the customer) solutions to customers

Cheers

Steve

--
Stephen J. Wilcox