Re: WorldComm Fiber Cut????

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Mon Jul 08 12:43:41 2002

In a message written on Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 06:22:00AM -1000, Internet Guy wrote:
> Each one of these graphs shows abnormalities in the flow of internet data,
> such as "pits", spikes, square wave function graphs, clipping on some
> waveforms, etc.

You have drawn an incorrect conclusion.  While several of these
graphs have interesting shapes, they are not all abnormalities.
Several are graphing errors.  Several are human errors (graphing
the wrong thing).  Several are oddball traffic patterns due to
strange customer usage.  None of that indicates abnormal flow.

One of my favorite things was working with people who do simulcasts
of things like Victoria Secret's and The Drew Carey Show.  At the
top of the hour a huge spike, and at the bottom of the hour a
perfect drop off.  A half hour square function on every graph in
the network.  Doesn't mean anything was wrong.  Rebalancing peers,
dealing with outages, customers doing backups, installing and
testing, etc.  It all happens daily on a big network, and can
produce some really odd graphs.

> As there is no way to really verify the QUALITY or INTEGRITY of the data
> being displayed, then I submit as fact, that what is being shown here is
> really in a grey area, at best.
>
> So who really knows how correct, the data which is being displayed on the
> MFN home page is really is ?

As I work for MFN, all I can say in a public forum is that relying
on any one tool is foolish.  If you use more than one tool, you
can compare them and determine which is correct.  Assuming that the
graphs we make public are the only graphs we have would be a bad
mistake.

There's also the obvious, if you can "show int" on the box, you can
always double check a graph, in real time anyway.

--
       Leo Bicknell - [email protected] - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - [email protected], www.tmbg.org