RE: Internet vulnerabilities

  • From: jnelson
  • Date: Thu Jul 04 15:51:11 2002

How about this:
ISP X had its tftp server compromised by a wily hacker who evaded
tripwire and covered his track well, uploaded some cracked Cisco code
(the current release for their GSRs). This code was designed to corrupt
the directories and shut down the router at date XX:XX:XX. Each of these
affected GSRs, 7-five new roll-outs and 2 upgrades--went down at the
same time (save one who's time was no set correctly). Each site had to
driven to, flashcards replaced. ISP X severely crippled for 6 hours. The
hacker could have gone the extra leg to have the tftp server expunge the
backup configs at the same time--extra couple hours--but did not.

We all download code from Cisco/Juniper/Bay in good faith... when's the
last time you saw a signature attached to any of those? Most security
breeches happen from within anyway. A disgruntled DE....

Just a wicked thought.