Re: Sprint peering policy

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Mon Jul 01 21:09:11 2002

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 12:47:36AM +0100, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> I'm curious about all these comments on bandwidth, "few Mbs is nothing",
> "dropping OC48 to IXs".
>
> Theres an imbalance somewhere, everyone on this list claims to be
> switching many gigs of data per second and yet where is it all going?
> Not on the IX graphs anyway....
>
> Did someone mention large bandwidths and everyone else felt they needed
> to use similar figures or is everyone really switching that amount but
> just hiding it well in private peerings? I know theres some big networks
> on this list but theres a lot more small ones..

It's all so much posturing, just like the people who claim they need OC768
now or any time in the near future, or the people who sell 1Mbps customers
on the fact that their OC192 links are important.

If there is more than ~150Gbps of traffic total (counting the traffic only
once through the system) going through the US backbones I'd be very
surprised.