RE: Sprint peering policy

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Mon Jul 01 19:36:24 2002

WCOM (or anyone) has a certain amount of cost (people, management, etc) to
deal with a peer. If they are a respectable network, they notify their peers
of maintenance, and field their calls when sessions disappear. A large ISPs
fees generally tend to be higher than a Joe Six Pack ISP.

Regional routes for a Joe Six Pack ISP are not going to represent a
significant enough level of traffic (1-2,5,10mb/s?) for a large network to
waste management time on. Heck, DNS servers use more than 2mb/s of bandwidth
nowadays (for medium sized networks and above). A few megabits a second is
nothing.

Deepak Jain
AiNET