Re: Sprint peering policy (fwd)

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Mon Jul 01 15:28:18 2002

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 03:01:50PM -0400, Deepak Jain wrote:

> [deleted]
>
> To put this another way, imagine two networks.  One is a large
> content provider, they target webhosting customers.  One is a large
> access provider, they target end-users.  I think that being able to reach
> a large number of end-users is a benefit to the first network.  I also
> think that being able to reach a large amount of content is a benefit to
> the second network.  If they peer, their traffic ratio will be
> 1:1 yet both networks gain significant ( imho ) benefit.  Bill and keep
> seems the only sensible way to me.

These people are highly likely to peer.

The ones not likely to peer with either party are the traditional tier
1's, who would rather have them both as customers and make 2x the money.

As Dan Golding put it, the first 50% of your traffic is easy to peer off.
And that number is only increasing, as more and more networks move to
cheaper and better locations like Equinix, to peer with all the people out
there who aren't tier 1's.