RE: Sprint peering policy

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Mon Jul 01 13:08:27 2002

William,

It would be quite surprising if an informational RFC changed anyone's
peering policy or opinions on peering. Peering is as much or more so, a
function of business and business relationships, rather than simply a
technical method of accomplishing interconnection. Networks peer when they
have a business reason to do so, regardless of their size. I suspect many
engineers become upset when a large network won't peer with them, and assume
that it is due to large-company cluelessness. While I am loath to suggest
that some of these behemoths have an idea as to what they are doing, most
can recognize a peering opportunity for what it is, and the effect it will
have on their business. If they were only so good at truthfully reporting
their accounting data...Oh well.

- Daniel Golding