Re: Name Server Change-over completed

  • From: George William Herbert
  • Date: Mon Jul 01 01:55:00 2002

>I guess the moon is in phase with some star somewhere, and now it's time to
>argue who's root is he "real" root...  Barf.  Enough already  -  we all have
>our own roots. one guy follows Vixies roots, while I typically roll my
>own.  Many others do other things.
>
>The final point of this insanity is that there is NOT a single root.  Hasn't
>been for a hell of a long time, and I suspect that there never will be again.

I have never seen any alternative root that got more than
a few percent visibility penetration, other than Kashpureff's
"Go Directly To Jail, Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200" trick.

While some of you may consider it a victory if you and your
two friends can see your private TLDs, the inability of
the vast bulk of internet users to resolve your TLDs seems
to argue that they're not particularly useful.  If your customers
can't advertise it to Worldcom and AOL and Mindspring and Earthlink
customers (as a representative example set), and you intend to be
general purpose, and as far as I can tell none of the alternatives
have ever been able to, then you're masturbating rather than crafting
serious net policy.

This mailing list does not exist to discuss experiments in
alternative DNS, if you have not figured out how to surmount
the combined political and technical barriers required for
general purpose use of those alternative TLDs.

-george william herbert
[email protected]