Re: interconnection richness effects Re: Was [Re: Sprint peeringpolicy]

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Sat Jun 29 16:42:24 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Joseph T. Klein wrote:

> That makes sense ... many full routing tables is fare worse than
> many partial routing tables. If my last resort was buying from a
> Tier 1 after peering out most of my traffic I would prefer "paid
> peering" or "partial transit". ... and one can always not listen to
> routes that have multiple non optimized paths via transit
> connections.

How will that work? Your last resort would then have to buy paid peering from
all non-transit networks (tier 1's), which means they have to be a kind of tier
1 themselves then?

But - BGP only propogates the single best route, BGP automatically removes the
"multiple non optimized paths" and if they're non-optimized they will never be
best and hence never cause flaps within or downstream of your network.

> If you have 10 ways to an ASN and 3 or four stable and clean diverse
> routes exist ... why chew up memory and CPU listening to the poor
> routes?

I cant imagine a production router would have 10 ways tho, as above, any non
optimum routes will not be propogated past the eBGP.

... and assuming you arent taking transit then you rely upon your peerings as
the ONLY means of connectivity to their networks and their customer networks
which means multiple interconnect points and your still going to be receiving
multiple BGP routes to the same destination...

Note, I dont think I'm conflicting with the comments below which are referring
to route flaps at the source which therefore cross all networks and all bgp
routers, thats a separate issue.

Steve