interconnection richness effects Re: Was [Re: Sprint peering policy]

  • From: Joseph T. Klein
  • Date: Sat Jun 29 15:44:12 2002

Preaching to the ministers here:

I would like to see more data. I don't think a network with large
aggregates (some who can not peer with tier 1s due to current
policies) has much impact on the global routing structure.

The primary problem is the noise of smaller announcements popping
on and off magnified by multihoming punching holes in large aggregates.

Small announcement show more churn because they are more granular.
They expand the route table thus slowing convergence.

Scientific investigation and public sharing of data can help
networks build policies based on service criteria.

Many large networks are reluctant to share internal data that could
help in the broader analysis of stability issues.

Where is the threshold? Can I turn it into a policy?

How much does topology effect stability? Hierarchal design tends
to mitigate instability when it can be localized to a small segment
of your network infrastructure.

Flat designs tend to ring like a bell when instability is introduced.
I think we held the world record for flapping at NAP.NET in 95-96.
That was a flat design executed during a time when the Cisco architecture
and software could not keep up with the growth and churn rate. The
inclusion of algorithms that enhanced oscillation ringing (and since has
been fixed in IOS) did not help.