Re: IDS experience's - summary

  • From: Jeff Nelson
  • Date: Fri Jun 28 13:13:54 2002

More people should take the time to compile worthwhile summaries.
Recently I've been evaluating various IDSs... primarily to quickly identify
DOSs so they can be rate-limited if they're specific enough (by a small
source pool or a port that wouldn't interfere with primary traffic)  or null
them if the customer's firewall/server/LB goes down and floods the block..

We have a Dragon system which is primarily used to identify portscans over a
multiple IPs and blackhole the source. I'm told it has more functionality
but I haven't had the time to explore its potential.
I've just begun using Arbor's Peakflow system--a traffic and DOS
platform--it uses set parameters to identify traffic anomalies using Netflow
stats. I believe that it has some good potential, but already we've had some
scalability issues and the 'tweaking' is very administratively intensive. It
has missed a few serious anomalies we could see on bandwidth graphs that it
didn't pick up.
And last, I'm about to receive Wildpacket's EtherPeek NX which uses a Gig
span to identify traffic flows and do pretty much the same thing as Arbor's
but all in Software and every packet. I'm very interested to try it because
of its full span and price. Unfortunately, it does cap at a Gig and so
multiple boxes will be needed in a large environment and there is no
aggregation software for the statistics.

I would love to hear more about other's experiences with these products and
values, or other interesting views on the subject.

--jeff

"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send."
--Jon Postel