RE: How do I log on while in flight?

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Fri Jun 28 01:35:33 2002

sattelite links do not rule out videoconferencing, ip phones etc. large
portions of the world live with 700ms or higher round trip times for both
voice and data.

joelja

 On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Scott Weeks wrote:

> I was mainly thinking of satellite systems, but failed to remember the
> latency problems associated with them so the videoconferencing example
> wouldn't work. (not enough coffee today... :)  So for latency tolerent
> apps does satellite work well when traveling at air speeds?  If the
> footprint doesn't cover the entire area traveled how well does hand off
> from one 'cell' to another work?  What do the big boys like the president
> and corporate execs use?
>
> Also, that the cellular network could crash if cell phones are used at
> altitude seems like a big security hole to me.
>
> scott
>

> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Leigh Anne Chisholm wrote:
>
> : The FCC prohibits communication using a cellular telephone while in an
> : aircraft in US airspace.  In Canada, I don't believe there is such a
> : regulation.
> :
> : >From doing research on this topic earlier this year, I came across news
> : articles that say that several aircraft manufacturers have tested the use of
> : cellular telephones on aircraft systems and found no effects whatsoever.  So
> : why the FCC ruling?
> :
> : Likely it's because of the design of the cellular network - which from what I
> : understand, is far more dense in the US than it is in Canada (which might be
> : why the CRTC doesn't have such a prohibition).  The problem is what happens
> : when a cellular device is based above the cellular system antennae - there is
> : an ability to connect to multiple systems simultaneously, and that's something
> : the system wasn't designed to see happen.  Additionally, there's the hand-off
> : factor, of the negotiation process of what happens when you leave the range of
> : one cellular tower and enter the range of another.  In an aircraft, that
> : happens at a rate greater than would be if the cellular phone were used in a
> : car - so again, there's a problem there.  The Airphone system found on
> : commercial aircraft was designed to overcome these limitations - which is why
> : they CAN be used onboard commercial aircraft systems.
> :
> : So, besides it being illegal, you run the risk of taking down your service
> : provider's cellular network - and from what I've heard, this doesn't make them
> : very happy.
> :
> : In summary - don't do it.
> :
> :
> :   -- Leigh Anne Chisholm
> :      Network Engineer
> :      Applied Design Networks
> :
> :

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   [email protected]
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but