RE: How do I log on while in flight?

  • From: Gary E. Miller
  • Date: Thu Jun 27 17:12:46 2002

Yo  Scott!

Several services will do what you want.  They are ALL expensive.

One of them is Orbcomm:
	http://www.orbcomm.com

They have several FAA TSOed (a.k.a. certified) redios for aircraft
usage.  With Orbcomm you can send and receive email, weather fax, etc.

Echo Flight is one reseller of Orbcomm service to small airplanes:
	http://www.echoflight.com

There service is $10/month plus $1/email

The FAA is currently funding several competing data-link projects.  The
idea is to force vendors to give away basic services to all airplanes
and be allowed to charge for premium services like email. Details at:
	http://www.avweb.com/oshkosh/osh99/day5/fis/index.html

Icarus has their "SatTalk II" phone.  It allows cell phone like
connections while inflight.  See them at:
	http://www.icarusinstruments.com/

But is this really on topic for nanog?  I was not going to post until
I started seeing some bad answers...

RGDS
GARY Commercial, Instrument, SEL, N6157R
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Blvd, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
	[email protected]  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676