RE: how is cold-potato done?

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Thu Jun 27 13:40:16 2002

Andre,

What Avi meant is that when you use routing policy (like routemaps or the
equivalent) to set additive MEDs between POPs, only do it on egress from all
POPs or ingress to all POPs. Don't do it on routes both ways. Look at slide
35 - it has all the MEDs being added as "from" routemaps, as opposed to both
"from" and "to".

Here is an example:

I have a POPs in NYC, Chicago, Seattle. I have routes in BGP being announced
from NYC, with a MED of +100 being tacked on as it leaves the NYC POP. I
then add an additional MED of +200 when it leaves the Chicago POP, heading
for Seattle. This is a cost metric, so higher is "worse". If I had routemaps
adding more MED cost upon ingress to the Chicago and Seattle POPs, in
addition to on egress from the NYC and Chicago POPs, you are adding twice as
much to the metrics - it just doesn't make much sense, and is twice the
number of values to control, when you are adjusting the values.

Of course, this is all about generating meaningful MEDs on your own network
for your own purposes, and for those of your customers and peers. It doesn't
really have to do with cold potato routing of other's traffic on your
network (although it does let people cold-potato route your traffic on THEIR
networks.)

Another valid approach for doing this sort of thing is setting your MEDs to
be the same as your IGP metrics to the next hops of the BGP routes - there
are "shortcut" commands for doing this. Of course, your mileage may vary.

- Daniel Golding