Re: How important is IM? was RE: How important is the PSTN

  • From: Rizzo Frank
  • Date: Wed Jun 26 20:50:27 2002

Chris,

By "IM" I assume you're referring to Instant Messaging as an ideal, not any particular protocol or vendor implementation. Which begs the question, is "IM" is a risk because Christopher J. Wolff, VP CIO a self-proclaimed tier 1 provider, says so, or because you have facts to prove it, which you neglected to post? IRC and AIM have been scrutinized pretty heavily and I can't think of any inherent flaws (other than lack of out-of-box for support for encryption... but is the PSTN really any more secure?). Just buggy clients under-educated users opt to install.

A non-trival amount of providers here use AIM/IRC to help facilitate inter- and intra-NOC communication, even if they won't readily admit to it.
Are you blocking "peer-to-peer file sharnig programs" because of security risks, or because your employeees are wasting your already-scarce capacity to Global Crossing downloading the new Barry Manilow album?

Frank Rizzo

-----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Jane,

This brings up a good point about IM. IMHO, IM is a security risk and I am establishing a company standard where users behind the firewall are prohibited from using IM, IRC, and peer-to-peer file sharing programs. My opinion is that these types of programs contribute more to lack of productivity than to real problem solving.

So my question for the group is, do chat programs (IM, IRC, yahoo) serve a substantial network support purpose or are they more of a distraction, allowing staff to communicate with friends, relatives, drifters, interlopers on company time?

Regards,
Christopher J. Wolff, VP CIO
Broadband Laboratories
http://www.bblabs.com