Re: Testing Bandwidth performance

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Wed Jun 26 01:21:31 2002

At 01:02 AM 6/26/2002 -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:

        I think they are talking about generating an OC3s worth
of traffic.  while you could fill it all up w/ ntp packets
as one method, I do not beleive it will create the desired result.

        but yes, if you are wanting to measure
latency across your network or a circuit, ntp when properly
synchronized can be quite a useful tool.

I'm not sure what you are saying regarding filling up an OC3 with NTP, but
i do know you can calculate simple latency I believe, measurements from
normal NTP  = but strategically analyzed from remote sources and correctly
configured i.e. all s/1 or s/2 with drift.

I wont' say I'm the expert at this, I'm the bb wiretap guy :), not the ntp
latency guy.......but I've been around a bit.

-M