Re: Testing Bandwidth performance

  • From: David G. Andersen
  • Date: Tue Jun 25 23:33:11 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 08:02:56PM -0700, Alan Sato mooed:

> What are some tools to test bandwidth perfomance?  I've used
> iperf, but are there other tools or ways to generate traffic for
> testing purposes to see a links maximum capacity?  Especially greater
> than a 100mb.

CAIDA lists them better than I can:

  http://www.caida.org/tools/taxonomy/performance.xml

Though I'll editorialize:  For more than 100Mbits, you're moderately out
of luck.  Not many of the tools work really well over 100Mbits (or haven't
been evaluated over 100Mbits...).  But
play with 'em and run 'em on a fast workstation, it'd be interesting
to hear what you find.

 -Dave

--
work: [email protected]                          me:  [email protected]
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/