Re: SPEWS?

  • From: JC Dill
  • Date: Fri Jun 21 16:30:57 2002

On 03:48 PM 6/20/02, John Payne wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 04:38:02PM -0400, Geo. wrote:
>> I am a postmaster for a state wide ISP and we maintain our own blacklist
>> along with usage of one other public blacklist, the spamcop blacklist.
>>
>> Why spamcop and not spews?
>
>My question is why a dnsbl that the *maintainer* of which says should not
>be used for production mail systems?

There was a product called a "wine brick" (made from compressed grapes) that was sold during Prohibition. The label read:

Warning: Do not place this wine brick in a one gallon crock,
add sugar and water, cover and let stand for seven days, or
else an illegal alcoholic beverage will result.

IMNSHO SPEWS' disclaimer is worded the way it is for similar effect. They are telling you to "not do" the very thing that their product is clearly designed to be used for.

jc (who thought this list was nanog, and not spam-l... hmmm)