RE: SPEWS?

  • From: Benjamin P. Grubin
  • Date: Thu Jun 20 22:57:30 2002

Steven,

You are saying that the right to defend property trumps the right to
free expression.  In principle, that is a very agreeable thing to say.
But you are using that argument to defend blacklisters with questionable
operational skills.

My guess would be that when someone inappropriately blacklists one of
your netblocks from a quentionably-run-but-widely-used blacklist, your
thinking will change somewhat.  Similarly I expect that your credit
record has always been free of defect, and you are lucky.  Several years
ago I had an IRS default for $22,000 placed on my credit record
erroneously, which took half a year to clear.  During that time I was a
consultant, and had to go through several background investigations.
Inconvenience doesn't cover it.

Saying that a report is voluntary and/or advisory gets more and more
irrelevant as rate of adoption increases.  Yes, the thousands of credit
card companies could choose to evaluate you in any manner they wish, but
yet they *all* judge you solely on your credit report.  So in *reality*,
is it really still useful to say it is voluntary and advisory therefore
undeserving of scrutiny/complaint?

Cheers,
Ben

------