RE: SPEWS?

  • From: Geo.
  • Date: Thu Jun 20 16:43:32 2002

> Can't find the terrorists you're looking for so start killing bystanders
> until someone submits? Sounds militia to me.
>
> The service providers are not the enemies. If you treat them like enemies
> then enemies they will become.

Folks, I've been watching this discussion and holding my fingers but now I
have to speak.

I am a postmaster for a state wide ISP and we maintain our own blacklist
along with usage of one other public blacklist, the spamcop blacklist.

Why spamcop and not spews? Simple, the problem is spammers and open relays
and that's what we need to deal with. If we can solve that problem without
relying on the ISP to find and close every open relay then it will work
better for us and it will be better for the ISP's.

Remember the idea is to eliminate the spam so the rest of us can enjoy the
internet.

Geo.