RE: SPEWS?

  • From: John Ferriby
  • Date: Thu Jun 20 11:18:58 2002

> Any non-contactable blacklist should not be taken serious. Posting to a
> public forum (ie usenet) to contact the maintainer of such is list is
not
> acceptable and I for one can not understand why any responsible site
> administrator would use such a list.

I've always had the impression that SPEWS did this to make legal
action difficult.   Many of the other RBL, ORB, are targets of legal
action.   If it is difficult to contact "them" how does one pursue
the matter?

SPEWS has no due process procedure for handling issues and the flip
side of that is that there is no clear-cut process for dealing with
them legally either.   I would guess that by "raising the bar" for
their responsibility they are also, ultimately, setting themselves
up for a larger action, perhaps even under RICO.   I see them as some
kind of amorphous SPAM militia.

Responsible, overloaded administrators might.  IMHO blacklists should
always be local to the organization.   Anything else is to abdicate
responsibility for the result because what constitutes SPAM is a
subjective judgment.  (analagous to what constitutes pornography.)

-John