SPEWS?

  • From: Alex Rubenstein
  • Date: Wed Jun 19 23:01:10 2002

I've had a little run-in with SPEWS, and the crowd on

I'm curious; do folks take these guys serious?

I'll admit, we had an issue with a customer who spammed, and it took us a
little while to zap him. Nevertheless, he was zapped. He had a /27, and
SPEWs listed the entire /24 surrounding it. When I asked about this, they
said, in not-so-many-words, that by doing this, punishing innocent
bystanders, that as long as the ISP noticed and fixed the issue, this was
essentially OK to do.

Of course, I disagreed, and was called all sorts of names that I'd not
used since I was 14.

So, to the point; what is the consensus on SPEWs? I've never really
noticed them until this point.

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, [email protected], latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --