Re: ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Wed Jun 19 14:57:00 2002

[ On Wednesday, June 19, 2002 at 10:38:13 (-0400), Chris Woodfield wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?
>
> If the people who "vote with their wallets" here are the ATTBI customers, don't
> forget that if you're not served by DSL, cable broadband is really the only
> good option for broadband access (I'm not counting satellite, with >1s ping
> times, or wireless, which is still in its infancy as a residential solution).

Sounds like an opportunity for some competing provider if you ask me,
though as you say:

> And rarely will you find a home anywhere in the US served by more than one
> cable company.

Was there not once upon a time there was a proposal to require cable-cos
to provide what would effectively be layer-2 service to any IP provider?

I think that requirement still stands in Canada, but until newer
standards-compliant cable modems become more common it's "hard" to do
and so nobody's doing it yet (and there is some whining on both sides).

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;  <[email protected]>;  <[email protected]>;  <[email protected]>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>