Re: ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?

  • From: Lou Katz
  • Date: Wed Jun 19 14:22:07 2002

Thanks for all the hints. I did not mean to trigger a flame
war.

----- Forwarded message from "Robert A. Hayden" <[email protected]> -----

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:13:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Robert A. Hayden" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?
To: Lou Katz <[email protected]>
Cc: <[email protected]>

GAH!  Sorry, bad typo.

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Robert A. Hayden wrote:

> Most providers provide some kind for forward/reverse mapping, including
> ATTBI.  Often, however, they do provide customized reverse mapping (ie,
                               ^^ do not
> myhost.mydomain.com).  That may be where the disconnect.
>
> I believe that ATTBI has a script that auto-generates forward/reverse
> mappings on a regular basis.  You client may be just in a waiting period
> before the problem corrects itselft.

I <naively?> hope that your suggestion turns out to be the case. In any
event, I can do stuff which absolutely does not scale. My client needs
ftp access to his website, and I do not allow anonymous ftp. I just set
up a local DNS to give (consistent) local forward and reverse mapping
for his IP-de-jour, and he was then able to get in. If his DHCP lease
changes, I will just make another entry for him.

Requiring working reverse DNS in this case (the Paranoid setting in ftpaccess)
keeps down the noise level from the automatic door knob twisters. I (obviously?)
do not block SMTP or HTTP access for no reverse lookup.

YMMV

----- End forwarded message -----

--

-=[L]=-