Re: How many protocols...

  • From: Magnus Boden
  • Date: Wed Jun 19 10:20:01 2002

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 11:51:44AM +0100, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> The argument is failing because the original comment was too simplistic -
> "I wouldn't call it an isp if they only allowed tcp, udp and icmp"

I do agree.

> If you want to receive a multicast stream sure the data is transmitted on
> udp or whatever but you need igmp to be running between yourself and the
> router to join the group and you also need the network itself to be
> running multicast routing (dvmrp/pim whatever)

Yes.

> You are also assuming that the network is running standard ip routing such
> as bgp, ospf etc .. now before you say "obviously" .. its not obvious, you
> need to define what you want to use your internet connection for, i used
> the multicast example as if your intent is to use multicast then if its
> not running the multicast routing protocols you wont get multicast!

Yes. But if an isp sells me internet access I assume it is not filtered
since then it would not be internet access it would be http internet
access or something like that.

> The argument should have been more along the lines of does the particular
> provider support all the features -you- wish to use. I might provide only
> dialup, email and web access but providing thats what my customers want am
> I any less a provider than someone who supports IP, IPSec, IPv6,
> multicast, RSVP etc etc

I would in this case say that IPsec falls under IP as it doesn't require
anything from the ISP above what IP requires.

You are right about someone only providing http access is still a
provider, but it should be clear that that is what it is. Maybe it
already is I have never had an isp who filters stuff (That I know of).

Buying internet access from an ISP and then finding out that they
filter certain protocols would be really annoying.

//Magnus