Re: How many protocols...

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Wed Jun 19 06:54:03 2002

The argument is failing because the original comment was too simplistic -
"I wouldn't call it an isp if they only allowed tcp, udp and icmp"

If you want to receive a multicast stream sure the data is transmitted on
udp or whatever but you need igmp to be running between yourself and the
router to join the group and you also need the network itself to be
running multicast routing (dvmrp/pim whatever)

You are also assuming that the network is running standard ip routing such
as bgp, ospf etc .. now before you say "obviously" .. its not obvious, you
need to define what you want to use your internet connection for, i used
the multicast example as if your intent is to use multicast then if its
not running the multicast routing protocols you wont get multicast!

The argument should have been more along the lines of does the particular
provider support all the features -you- wish to use. I might provide only
dialup, email and web access but providing thats what my customers want am
I any less a provider than someone who supports IP, IPSec, IPv6,
multicast, RSVP etc etc

Steve