Re: ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Tue Jun 18 20:46:06 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 04:54:54PM -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Thus spake "Stephen Griffin" <[email protected]>
> > The lack of clue tends to be on the providing in-addr side of
> > things.  I think it is a great thing to refuse connections from
> > ips without in-addr, in the same way it is great to refuse mail
> > from domains that don't provide postmaster addresses.
>
> On first reading, I thought that was sarcasm.  Now I realize you're serious.

	I've found that filtering out mail from
people that have no reverse dns tends to typically point to
a) open-relays, b) spam, c) lack of working abuse/postmaster.

> > It is a means through which one can influence the laziness of
> > others.  Simply disregarding what others do, only legitimizes
> > the laziness, and continues us along the road of everyone
> > doing the absolute minimum.
> > You neglect to include the option of the customer changing
> > to an ISP that provides in-addr.
>
> So, if you ran Amazon.com, you wouldn't accept money from customers of clueless
> ISPs?

	You can't do it on the store side, but you can do it on the
residental customer side, or at least give those messages a higher
level of attention in any overall spam score for a message.

> Sadly, even that level of coercion wouldn't be anywhere near enough to motivate
> most ISPs.  And your (non-)customers will be caught in the crossfire.

	Anyone that sends e-mail to me from a host/server with no reverse
dns I will not see.  It is not rejected w/ 400/500 series code
as I know some people do.  it goes to it's own 'spam' folder.

	I have found that some companies (american express) for
example can not seem to make their systems have reverse dns, and
they suffer from the lack of a working postmaster/hostmaster
address too.

	It just means i read that folder once every few days and
periodically send e-mail to people i know that have hit the filter
or other legit folks.

	- jared