ICANN requirement for "information refreshing"?

  • From: Howard C. Berkowitz
  • Date: Tue Jun 18 19:13:37 2002

I just received an email from Verisign customer service requesting I "refresh my information:" on an active domain that doesn't expire until 2004. My concern is that the request specifically stated ICANN required them to do this.

On searching the ICANN-Verisign contract at the ICANN site, I could find no requirement for refreshing. I'm concerned this may be a covert marketing activity, since the web page for "refreshing" very easily could have led me into buying services from Verisign. This seems to be of operational interest to service providers hosting domains, if Verisign/Netsol can confuse people into shifting their service to them.

Am I completely off base here? Is there some ICANN requirement I've missed?