Re: ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?

  • From: Stephen Griffin
  • Date: Tue Jun 18 17:31:40 2002

In the referenced message, Daniel Senie said:

> At 02:30 PM 6/18/02, Lou Katz wrote:
<snip>
> >Is this common?
>
> I have a CDPD card which has a fixed address. It's from Verizon Wireless.
> There's no INADDR. There seems to be a lack of understanding and clue all
> around on INADDR, which is the motivation for the above-mentioned draft.
> Having something to point network operators and server operators to would,
> IMO, help.

The lack of clue tends to be on the providing in-addr side of things.
I think it is a great thing to refuse connections from ips without
in-addr, in the same way it is great to refuse mail from domains that
don't provide postmaster addresses.

It is a means through which one can influence the laziness of others.
Simply disregarding what others do, only legitimizes the laziness, and
continues us along the road of everyone doing the absolute minimum.

Simply accepting the connections seems to be a "path of least resistance"
which befits a pointy-hair more than an engineer.

> >--
> >I suppose I could set up a bogus reverse for him, but, feh...
>
> Either you set up something, or you can make your server not care about
> reverse, or lose the customer.

You neglect to include the option of the customer changing to an ISP
that provides in-addr.